Links

Tuesday 7 January 2014

by Deborah Hall Barry





































Mandela's Hell

Description:

This photo is of the inside of the prison on Robben Island, off the coast of Cape Town, South Africa, in which Nelson Mandela spent 27 years.

Mandela (also affectionately known as Madiba), prisoner number 46664 (the 466th prisoner in 1964) was released (after a life sentence) in 1990, accepted the Nobel Peace Prize in 1991, and voted for the first time in his life to become a new democratic South Africa's first black president in 1994.

They do regular tours now on Robben Island.

His life's work represents freedom, anti-racism, peace and love.

Please Click On The Picture Links Above And Below For More Information:





















Madiba's Words





















This is a print of a collage I made using paint, ink, charcoal, maps and various papers with the words of Nelson Mandela - "It always seems impossible until it's done." The image is done using a hand-printing process. It's of a photograph that I took inside Robben Island Prison, the prison that Nelson Mandela spent so many years before he was freed and became South Africa's first black president.

Please Click On The Picture Links Above and Below For More Information:



About Deborah:

I am an American living in South Africa with a love for adventure, travel, animals, poetry, odd people, and music.

'My studio and home are at the foot of the Kogelberg Mountains at the southernmost tip of Africa, set in a nature reserve. From here, I can watch baboons in their sometimes daily visits, and in the distance, I can see whales leap as they make their annual migratory trip around our rocky shoreline.

I have had a love of photography for many, many years; ever since my mom gave me her old Nikon film camera. For a short time I had a darkroom and loved the magic of watching an image slowly appear. I fought the 'digital age' until I could fight no longer - someone gave me a digital camera. That's when I fell in love with the special kind of magic digital images can produce.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment