Links

Monday 13 January 2014

by Sara Golish



Please Click On The Picture Link Above To See Sara’s Web Page:

Sara’s thoughts on producing work in celebration of Nelson Mandela’s birthday

Nelson Mandela Celebration

On Thursday 16th July 2013, Sara was part of an absolutely incredible exhibition with a number of wonderful Toronto artists in celebration of Nelson Mandela’s birthday. To honour such an incredible human being and celebrate all he is, and all he has done…

I’ve been very busy recently and taking on too much at once, but when I was approached by the curator for this show, I couldn’t say no.

I went to work immediately trying to find just the right portrait of Mandela to use for my portrait. It all ended up coming together with much more ease than I had anticipated. Once I found the perfect photo, I had a very clear vision of what the painting was going to look like. My only real issue was figuring out what background pattern to use.

I knew I wanted to use a South African inspired pattern [naturally], so I did some research and sourced some South African fabric prints called Shweshwe. I couldn’t decide which pattern I liked best since I loved them all, so I sent them out to friends for feedback. It was interesting how the pattern I was leaning towards least, was by far the most popular choice. After much debate, I decided to go with my instinct and NOT what the majority liked. When I considered I’ve spent my entire life going against the grain, it was no surprise I decided to go with the opposing choice. :)

It was definitely an interesting and different experience in painting such a great man. Working on his eyes was really powerful and trying to get just that right sparkle that radiates from them. I can only hope my portrait does him justice and captures his soul. But you will have to come out, to find out! ;)

Event details were:

Thursday, July 18th from 1-7pm at Daniels Spectrum in Regent Park, Toronto.
Live mural painting will be happening down the street!
Show open for 2 weeks in the hall of the main floor of the building

Mandela
16" x 20" plus white border on Sommerset Velvet paper, hand signed. $150

All rights reserved

Colours are brighter and more accurate in person



Artist Biography

Sara Golish is an emerging visual artist born in Windsor, Ontario.

Since putting pencil to paper as a toddler, she knew her passion was to become an Artist. After excelling in the Windsor Center for the Creative Arts during high school, she moved to Toronto in hopes of seeking a more challenging artistic environment at the Ontario College of Art & Design. There she received her BFA in 2008 for Drawing & Painting, acquiring the Eric Freifeld Award for ‘Proficiency in draughtsmanship.’ More recently, she completed courses at George Brown College in graphic & web design and development.

Sara has also completed extensive work as a decorative painter, which has included designing and painting murals, bas relief, gilding and faux finishes in traditional and contemporary styles. She has worked on high-end residential, corporate and retail interior design projects for places in Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, Sarasota and Barbados. Sara has also sub-contracted work for those such as Brian Gluckstein, Chapman Design Group, Yabu Pushelberg, Douglas Design, Munge Leung, Andrew Ness, and Jay Hodgins, to name a few.

Presently she works as a Freelance Artist, who specializes in figurative and portrait drawing and painting.









Ontario - Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment